Sunday, March 21, 2010

Did you hear that???




In case any of you were wondering what that sound was on Saturday, it was the sound of me Krushing it. And Timmy, you may have heard Bonnie as well, because she krushed it too. What a day to say the least. The stage was set for a couple of small town kids that are trying to do the right thing, to absolutely krush it, and that is what we did.

As you can guess, both Bonnie & I had great runs on Saturday. Weather-wise, it was one of the best days of the year. It was in the low 70's at it's warmest, just stellar running weather. We start our run at 8am, and by 8:45 it was already a perfect temperature. And we ran my favorite route, the good ol' OMSI route, along the trail, for the first time this year. I slap Bon on the butt and said bye to her before we even left the gates, I know whats up. It's funny I usually do not even start with Bon anymore because it lasts for such a short amount of time.

So John & I (picture above) make our way out and we are not even 2 minutes in and he asks me if we want to try to run with Kate today, and I was kinda laughing, til I realized he was serious. Oh yeah John, great idea. Let's attempt to run with Kate; one of the fastest girl we train with, ha. I go "nah Johnny, I am perfectly fine running at my regular pace, but she's right there 20 runners up near Bonnie if YOU feel catching up". We both silently agreed that was a bad idea, but it was kind of funny to hear John even throw that out there. I even remember telling John how, "I don't like to train faster than I normally do bc it could screw up my training". What a wuss statement. Playing it a little too safe sometimes Seanie boy, because you have to step it up once in awhile, don't you?

So John always has his GPS, which is awesome. And on today's menu we are only running 7, sweet. And it's the second to last time we ever pull back on our mileage, everyone loves these days. So John tells me about 3 miles in we are clipping like a 9 minute mile, I say "no shit". And what do you know, we were. That's really good for us snails who normally run 10 min. miles. But then I start wondering if we are running this fast, why don't we see Bonnie? I will tell you that in a bit now.

So it's a 3.5 out and back. So we hit the aid station and our friend Jan is there, and we were running with her for a bit and she runs like a 9.20 mile or so. And Jan says "man you guys were flying". I saw Bon at the station and I realized if I was flying, Bon must have really been flying. So we make our way back and John and I started running a little faster. I remember John saying "you need a nice hill to chill you out". Now keep in mind, John & I are the poster boys of the 10 min. mile guys, we could wear T shirts that said that. So we hit about the 5 mile mark and I am not feeling the affects at all. And I realize that I have the chance to put together a legit run for once, goddamn! I keep pushing it and John is starting to fall off a bit. I really want to finish this run with John, us two slugs don't ever run this fast, except for today.

Coach Karl pulls up out of nowhere and starts running with us on his phone, while possibly finishing up his coffee. It's so funny how effortless running is for Karl, he could juggle and run with us two. So John's a few feet behind me with Karl and I start yelling things to Karl like:

"Dude don't even bother trying to keep up with me today"
and
"Stay on that phone pal, because you don't want none of this today son!"

Karl finishes making a sandwich while running with us and leaves us. I was psyched though that Karl got to see Johnny & I crushing it though. But then I was thinking "he was on the phone, he has no clue how fast we are running, damn it".

So I am at about mile 6 and I decide to go Hulk Hogan on the route; the shirt's coming off for this victory lap in! Hulkamania is going to run wild today! I look behind me and John's tailing off further, and I am bummed, but I can't slow down now. So I keep running at my pace and I turn around about 100 ft from the finish and guess who's pulling up? My man John!!! I am so stoked, and he is flying by the way. I am just laughing right now so hard writing this bc I think my man surprised the hell out of himself, shit he surprised the HELL out of me. I tell John how stoked I am he caught up, and he is as well. I was psyched he wanted to finish this run with me as much as I did with him. So we are about 50 ft from the finish and I say "you know how I like to finish these", which is full on sprinting. And John says "dude, I just sprinted to catch you". I say "come on, let's be famous today" and we both bolted.

We finished the run at 8.38 per mile! Hands down a personal best for John & I. Oh and by the way, Bonnie ran the entire run with that fast girl Kate, and Bonnie ran at 8.15 per mile, wow. Bonnie usually hovers right around a 9 min. mile so this was a personal best for her as well. So it was an amazing day for the TNT crew.

Thanks for reading everyone!

http://pages.teamintraining.org/or/rnr10/ssullivugm

Sean

6 comments:

Unknown said...

well done !!!!

Unknown said...

Hysterical!! I love the part about Karl making a sandwich! Kate & I saw him running too just chatting away on the phone....

Allison in SD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Sean, love your description of the run, you captured it perfectly! Thanks for pushing me to my first sub 9 min/mi run ever! I'm ready for the steady 10 min/mi for next week's 12 miler.

Micki said...

Strong work!!!!

Karl said...

It was a PB&J and it was awesome !!! I was on the phone ordering breakfast.