Saturday, March 13, 2010

10 more fillmore

Today was our second 10 miler, in a row. We knew before our run it was going to be emotional, as there was an incredibly sad loss for TNT this past week: we lost one of our honored teamates, Hunter, and he was 4 years old. Each season for TNT we honor cancer victims, so we run for them, and it is pretty powerful. But can you imagine losing your child at the age of 4? And Hunter fought the fight of fights, but sadly lost in the end. The coaches passed out Hunter's picture and safety pins so we could all run with Hunter on this run. I would need his inspiration later.

So the first 6 miles we just ran 3 miles out and back. So I hit the TNT aid station and took off to run my last 4 miles. Well the first 6 were ok for me, and then it was almost all hills for the last 4. I don't know if it is the bh's or the lack of personal training during the week, but the last four miles were rufffffff. A few times on the last four miles, I couldn't catch my frigging breath at all. And I was running with my friends Kurt & John, which always helps, as running alone blows. My kankle started bothering me again, probably 'cause I've sprained it three or four times. At about mile 8 I am in pain, I can't catch my breath, and I was just struggling. So I rubbed Hunter's picture on my chest and was like "do it for the man". It helped me focus and get my breathing down. It's crazy how hard it is to run in any type of rhythm when you are sucking wind. So John runs with his his GPS, and as we pull in to finish our run, John assures Kurt and I that we only ran 9.7 and that we need to run another .3 to hit 10 miles. I told John he was going in the lake, I was half kidding. But the run did end good for me and of course Bonnie crushed it, even the hills. She is so much cooler than me nowadays...

Now two years ago when we trained together, we were one less in the Sullivan Clan. So when we got home we both could just crash. Now when we get home, we have to take care of Taylor. Normally I don't even take naps, but these post-run naps aren't even an option. Your legs are so tight, and you are physically exhausted. I am walking like Frankenstein already. Bonnie said to me at one point "now begins the lazy Saturdays", and man is she right. Because even after your siesta you are just out of it, and sore as hell. Feeling "screwed up" seems to sum it up nicely I think. So we let our babysitter go home and we both hit the wall. I am so tired I can't even change out of my smelly running clothes, oh and Taylor is sick with conjunctivitis and one hell of a cold. Fun I tell ya for two exhausted parents. So I plead with her to let me nap first, and to be honest I wasn't really even asking. I was going down hard. So I pass out for about an hr and Bon wakes me up for second duty. So we got through it but as these runs get longer and we get home even more exhausted, this is going to get more and more difficult. But we will manage, we always do. Maybe we will keep the sitter sround while we sleep, who knows.

But it's all so worth it, every bit of it. As much as we hurt and struggle as we train, it pales one million percent to what all cancer victims endure, and their families. And so everyone reading knows, I do not plan on always asking people reading this to donate on my blogs, but if you are planning on donating, our recommittment deadline is this Friday. We need to have 25% of our fundraising goal to stay in the TNT trainig, and we are a ways away from that. So if you are planning on donating (thank you!), could you try to donate by Thursday? We will be extremely thankful. And guys a $20 donation will go a long way for us, thanks.

We love you guys and thanks for reading!

http://pages.teamintraining.org/or/rnr10/ssullivugm

Sean & Bonnie

No comments: