Saturday, April 10, 2010

Guess who's back???


Let me begin by telling you it is not the wingnut in this photo that's back. And don't you just look great after a nice 15 mile run? It's funny, I bet you had no idea Bonnie was gone, but she was, kind of. For most people, running like Bonnie when she is "off" is running great, it's what I have been doing. And that kind of sums it up though doesn't it? I don't run with Bonnie!!! You all knew this, and yet no one said anything to me? Todd, anyone? I thought we were friends. I started thinking I could hang with the big boys and you all didn't say a word? Not one reply post of:

"Yeah Sean, good job running with Bonnie while she takes running siesta"
or
"Nice Sean, what's that, you beat Bonnie? Ohhhh, so right at the end you sprinted faster? Wow, awesome dude".

That's all fine and good, I was not completely naive to think I was a Bonner; a runner and Bonnie in one. But I will say it has been great running with her the last few weeks, it just doesn't happen often enough. And on Saturday, for the first time this year ladies and gents, Bonnie was on FIRE! Nearly perfect, well it was a perfect run for her, so yeah, it was perfect. She Krushed it Karl! Nothing is better than taking on your longest run, and making it your best run. Our girl kicked butt.

As for my run, it was interesting. 15 miles baby, no joke. We started at our coffee shop spot, perfect weather. Bonnie makes her way out the gates with Tyler, total stud runner, she's fast. And it was cool because I remember thinking, this will be perfect for Bonnie. She has been due to crush a run. But it's not like she has a lot going on or anything...I am running behind her with Marianne, and my run is going fine. Not great, not bad, it was just fine. Like you are floating in the ocean, and there's no sharks around, or at least you don't think there are.

So I start this game in my head of "how long can I run and still see Bonnie". Miles 1-10 were good, I could see her most of the time. Then at around mile 7, my left contact lense is driving me nuts. This goes on for about 5 annoying minutes, so I say adios. You only technically need one anyways. Bonnie and Tyler started waiting for me at the aid stations, and I kinda knew it, but I wasn't complaining. I ran solo pretty much. Sometimes you just wanna run alone, today I did. So around mile 9, my RIGHT contact starts bothering me. So I tried rubbing it and I knocked it out of my eye. I stop running and I see it on my finger, even though it's windy. I know I have one shot at this, and as I raise it, it blows away. I have no more contatcs. I swear I couldn't make this shit up.

Now this should not be that big of a deal, but "I can't see so good..." And it's so fun squinting as you are running long distance with sweat in your eyes, just to read street names linked to your routes, while running solo...At around mile 12 my right foot starts KILLING me. I am wearing brand new shoes for the first time. Every Keith Byars step I took at this point killed. So I drop to the curb, the shoe's gotta come off. I have never removed my shoe mid run before. You hope to never have to. I rub it and loosen the laces, and it was better, I could run again. The last aid station is at mile 13.25, but I know I will not see Bonnie at this last one, I was so far behind them now, and then I see her purple shirt ahead in front of me! I actually sprinted to the aid station, I was so pumped to see her after what just happened. I was really hoping to see her, and she was there waiting for me, of course. I ran with them for 30 seconds and said see you at the finish. So we finished the run in one piece, with a lot of help, our aid station workers ruled! I came into the parkling lot with guns in the air, like I just won a marathon. I was pumped to knock this one out. And my buddy Mike the cop knocked out his first 15 miler, on an ankle that looks like a grapefruit, unreal. Thanks for reading guys!

http://pages.teamintraining.org/or/rnr10/ssullivugm

Sean

No comments: