Sunday, June 1, 2008

Chalk it up

What is it about running 20 miles that is just so damn satisfying? Oh yeah, it's the actual running of 20 miles. The run took place up in Vancouver, WA. We have done a few long runs up there, beautiful city. The best part about this run was how unbelievably flat it was. Joe, our running coach, selected an awesome route for us, and everyone was very pleased. The route was in a very remote area which provided us very little road traffic. It's always a huge plus because it allows us a to run a good part of the way on the crowns of the road, as opposed to running on the side of the roads where you are running on a declined surface. It really does make a huge difference on long runs. And the weather was just perfect, man have we been lucky with the weather on our longs runs. It was in the low 50's when we started, which was kind of cool, but it warmed up beautifuly during the run. The sun was out and it was in the 60's about 5 miles in.

Bonnie and I ran mostly with out mentor for the Anchorage marathon, Mich, and our other good friend Megan. We have been running a lot with Megan this whole time and she is so great to run with, always great conversation. So the run starts off pretty damn good, everyone seems to be feeling strong. I was a little concerned with my knee from last Saturday, but it really was not an issue for most of the run. The run takes place on these 2 very rural roads mostly, it was pretty much two out and backs. It was nice though bc you ran along just wide open grassy areas, real farm town stuff. Not a lot of shade on the route but it did not get over 75 probably the entire run, and it was not even that warm til towards the end.

Dave ran with us as well, for about 6 miles and had to cut it. I could tell he was dying with his IT band, so he called it. I hated seeing how bummed out he was. So at around mile 14 or so Bonnie starts to get going. Bye babe. Mich, Megan and I stayed together. It was good bc the three of us were chatting it up. Anything to take your mind off the task at hand. The last part of the run was straight out 4 miles on this one road, and then turn around and head back for 4 more to complete the run. At mile 17 we stopped at our last aid station. We came in and had our water and snacks, and off we went. The thing is about stopping this late is it can really be hard to start up when you leave, even if you only stop for a minute or so. As I pull outta there, I feel my knee tighteneing. I was bummed bc it was hardly bothering me at all up until this point. For the last 3 miles it was an issue, but I was able to run through it. It was never too too bad. But as soon as we stopped it was hurting. But of course we did our ice bath afterwards and that seemed to help.

But on the last 3 miles or so, Bonnie had already pulled away and Mich was feeling it and took off as well. I was very stoked for Mich bc she has been having problems during her training with injuries. It ended up being her best run this whole year, nice work Mich! So THANK GOD Megan and I were at the same pace. Her and I finished together, and I needed it. We were saying how nice is it to be able to talk the entire time running 20 miles, and how impressed we were to not be so outta breath or too tired to talk at this stage of the run, it really does keep ya sane. So our conversation the last 3 miles got us both through it. The road just started to get so damn long for the last 3 miles, and as good of a run as it was for her and I, 20 was going to be as far as either one of us were going to go on this day.

Bonnie on the other hand just cruised the entire way. She was like me 2 weeks ago when we ran 20; she could have run the full 26 on Saturday. I was so psyched for Bonnie bc her last 20 miler was a tough run for her. These 20 mile runs allow us all to build up so much confidence for this marathon. Mark and Talin and our friend Tika are all kicking butt up in Seattle with their training as well. Last week they ran 20 and this week they ran 14 on their own, always a daunting task. They said it was one of their best runs, whoo hoo!

So the marathon is now just 3 weeks away, I cannot believe it. It should be amazing. I am also very excited bc we are all staying up in Anchorage for a few days to explore AK. And I just wanted to say congratulations to all our TNT friends who ran the San Diego Rock-n-Roll marathon today. Everyone finished and our friend Kurt ended up doing it in 3:40!!!! That is his first marathon and he ripped it off doing 8:24 miles, that is insane! And a huge congrats to you Cassie, John and Erica, good job! I hear the TNT support in SD is just unbelievable. Supposedly it is pretty strong up in Anchorage as well, can't wait! Thanks for reading everyone. And go Celtics! This series is gonna be all time.

Sean

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You should hit up the Alaska Bush Company after the marathon. It will be a worthy reward for your efforts.....

Unknown said...

My sister in law (who lives in AK) if running the half. I am sending my family and her out to find you and Bonnie and the team on race day. They couldn't come to San Diego but they are so excited about Oregon TNT runners coming to Alaska (my home)! So if slightly questionable people pretend like you are there lost son....just go along with it.
You guys will be great, I can feel it. FYI....don't go to the Bush Company...sticky and smelly, not cute.

Erica